Part 11: Jehovah Rophe - "The Lord Who Heals"
Within a few minutes Dr. Amato walked into our exam room. He is a short, athletic man who has an air of confidence about him. It isn't arrogance - he knows his stuff, but he deeply cares about his patients.
After short greetings, he pulled an x-ray film out of a manila folder and slapped it up on a light board affixed to the wall. With the flick of a switch, the board exuded a bright light and illuminated the once black photograph. Dr. Amato carefully examined the picture of Mr. Wonderful's chest/abdomen. He looked away briefly only to look back again, as though with fresh eyes. Next he turned to us. And then the six most amazing words I have ever heard came out of his mouth, "I can't find it. It's gone."
The tumors were gone. All of them - even the big one that the doctor was certain would have to be surgically removed! They had all disappeared. Not unexplainably disappeared, though. Medicine may not be able to explain it, but we can...
The Lord healed Mr. Wonderful! He preserved him!
Dr. Amato officially pronounced Mr. Wonderful in remission that day! February 21, 2001 - a day we will cherish always. A day on which we will forever pause to thank our Jehovah-Rophe.
There are no words adequate to describe the overwhelming emotion that followed. We were in too much shock for tears, just the biggest smiles I have ever seen on anyone's faces. We all but floated out of the doctor's office that day. As soon as we got in the car, the phone calls started. I called my parents. Mr. Wonderful called his roommates. And then, Mr. Wonderful called his friend, Sherri. Of all the people we called, her rejoicing meant the most. I haven't mentioned Sherri yet, but she was a distinct part of this journey.
***
Sherri and Mr. Wonderful met in late 2000 in the chemotherapy lab at the hospital. They both sported shiny heads and were wearing hats to keep them warm in the crisp winter air. Those hats became their first conversation piece. Sherri was battling stage 4 ovarian cancer. She was in her mid-40's with two grown children and a loving husband. It didn't take long for the Lord to turn that initial conversation into a divine appointment. He spoke through both of them that day, encouraging each of their spirits in ways that only a fellow cancer patient can do. Sherri was a brave woman with amazing faith. She had a long battle ahead of her but she kept her gaze firmly fixed on Jesus. She and Mr. Wonderful were instant friends.
These two brave friends kept up with each other through their treatments. I met Sherri one day when we stopped by her hospital room after one of Mr. Wonderful's doctor appointments. She had recently undergone a stem cell transplant, and had only been removed from isolation days before. She was weak. It was very apparent that her physical body was broken, but what I will never forget is how her joy and her positive attitude appeared stronger than ever. It was though it could not be contained behind her eyes or her smile. She radiated joy and peace. We brought her a gift that day (a Christian music CD if I remember correctly). We stayed with her for awhile that afternoon, catching up and laughing. Sherri was a great storyteller and each time she talked about her various cancer experiences, she would have us all in stitches.
That visit was the last time any of us saw Sherri. She lost her courageous battle a few months later, and we had the honor of attending her funeral. It was the first funeral I had ever been to, and it was gut wrenching. I have never fought tears harder than I did that day. The service was beautiful, an amazing honor to this woman's unwavering faith and a celebration of her life. As I listened to the service progress I was completely overwhelmed with gratitude for the amazing gift that the Lord had given me - the amazing gift that was sitting next to me in the pew, healthy now, and firmly holding my hand.
***
The spring semester in Aggieland continued. Mr. Wonderful was able to live in College Station full time, and we enjoyed being in the same city again. As his energy level returned, we were blessed to make a lot of great memories that spring.
We helped out with a high school retreat at Pine Cove:

We went away just the two of us to Dallas for Spring Break. We stayed with one of Mr. Wonderful's relatives and enjoyed our time away by going to Six Flags, the arboretum, and several great date nights:

Mr. Wonderful finished all of his incomplete fall classes, and I wrapped up my sophomore year strong. That summer we both returned to Houston to work. We went on a great vacation with my family to Lake Powell and the Grand Canyon. We had a wonderful time boating and jet skiing on the lake. We also took an ATV tour of the Grand Canyon. It was amazing, especially for the dare devil in Mr. Wonderful. I had a great time too, despite all the dirt!



As time passed, our relationship grew stronger and deeper. Through our recent trials and pain I saw something different in myself. For the first time I felt as though I loved someone more than I loved anything else in this world. As selfish as that is, it's the truth - it was a first for me.
I wanted to excel in school. I wanted to have a successful career one day. But I wanted Mr. Wonderful in my life more than all of that. I knew that the love that I was feeling for him was beyond what selfish me could muster on my own. I slowly began to understand that it was bigger than me - it was God loving Mr. Wonderful through me. I was a chosen vessel that God was using to love and encourage this man. With this understanding, I knew with confidence in my heart that this was the man with whom I wanted to spend the rest of my life.
I said very little about this to Mr. Wonderful, though. I wanted him to initiate this kind of conversation. But Mr. Wonderful was completely silent on the topic...
7 comments:
i've been anxiously awaiting Part 11! Wow, what an amazing story you guys have together...I can't wait for the next chapter!
Nicole
What a great testament to the Lord's goodness for sparing Colin in surgery! Nice pics from Lake Powell!
Wow! Erica, y'all have seen some mighty works of God and it only encourages me! Can't wait for the next chapter...
This is my new favorite book! :)
Lindsee
Erica!
Oh how i love this... as i read the part "ITS GONE..WE CAN'T FIND IT" i just got chills... my sweet precious Carson is in surgery today(very invasive, basically open heart surgery on a 5 year old)! to remove nodgules from his lungs...
Your story brought peace to me today... and probably more than anyone you know... you know that aching...begging the Lord for healing!!
Thank you for that :)
Y'all are such a precious couple! Praise Him from Whom all blessings flow! He has revealed His healing power to you once, and I know that His power does not expire! He will reveal it again--I have no doubt! Love you!
I have chills!!! Y'all are such an amazing couple. You have been through more than many people go through in an entire lifetime!
Okay, when's the next chapter going to come???? It's getting better and better!!!
Post a Comment