Part 3: What?! What in the World is Going On?
Mr. Wonderful and I were talking again! That little notecard had cracked the door open, and as light began to sneak through, we were both drawn to it. We had been in the same English class all semester, and now we were walking to and from class together, innocently catching-up on each other's lives.
These conversations served as a fan which fed oxygen to that small flame that had sparked again in my heart. I learned first hand the truth in the old adage, "absence makes the heart grow fonder." I hoped that Mr. Wonderful was starting to feel the same way.
Prom was a couple months away. Our high school was known for doing everything a bit over the top, and the way that guys asked girls to prom was no different. For example, one year a guy coordinated for a plane to fly overhead pulling a banner with his invitation as we were released from school. Although not all of the prom invites were this elaborate, most were well-planned and big all the same.
One day as I walked into Mr. Wonderful's and my English class and I approached my desk, I began to read the writing on the seldom-used chalkboard on the classroom's side wall. "Yes, Colin, I would love to go to prom with you. -Alice" I had to read it again to make sure I saw it right -
"Yes, Colin, I would love to go to prom with you. -Alice"
What?! What in the world is going on? It didn't take me long to put two and two together. Mr. Wonderful had asked Alice, another girl in our English class, to be his date to prom, and she decided to respond to him by writing her answer on the chalkboard in class. My heart sank. It took everything in me to not start crying.
Almost as soon as our English class began that day I asked to be excused to the restroom. I'm not sure how I did this, but I was able to get my best friend Meredith out of her biology class, and the two of us headed to the girls restroom. I cried to her in the bathroom for several minutes. I was crushed.
Another guy asked me to prom, and I accepted. If that poor dude had any idea how "second best" he was in my mind, he would have never asked me to be his date. But I decided to make the best of the situation and enjoy my one and only senior prom as best as I knew how. I found a dress that I loved (on a trip to NY with my mom, no less!), and coordinated with my date and some friends for a wonderful prom weekend.
My date and I arrived at prom at the Hotel Sofitel with our group of friends. It didn't take me long to spot Mr. Wonderful in the crowd. And OH. MY. WORD. He looked so handsome. I love me a man in a nice tuxedo - especially this man! As soon as we made eye contact it was clear that Mr. Wonderful was having a similar response to the way I looked as well. Our poor dates...if they only knew. My date didn't hold a candle to that handsome guy with strong biceps and tan skin, who smelled like Curve cologne (Hot!). And his date...well, she had a beaded butterfly on her dress...need I say more. However, Mr. Wonderful is a gentleman, and we never shared a dance that night. We had come with other people after all.


(Interesting picture choices, I know. It's the best I could find right now, so they'll have to do!)
Our school had a big all night, after-prom extravaganza event back at the high school after the dance. Once again, Mr. Wonderful and I found each other, and we flirted...I mean, talked...each time our paths crossed.
As accustomed in our high school, most seniors would go away for a night or two after prom with their prom group, typically to Galveston or a lake house somewhere. Both Mr. Wonderful and I did this, but with our respective groups, of course. I thought about him a lot that weekend - remembering how handsome he looked in his tux and wondering if he was thinking about me.
Despite my disappointment over Mr. Wonderful not asking me to prom, the realist in me understood his reasoning. Although we had been talking more and more, there were still old wounds.
There was still hope, though. As our high school days drew to a close, Mr. Wonderful and I started talking more and more. We even spent some time together away from school, hanging out like a pair of long-time friends. Something about our friendship was just so right.
Graduation day was only weeks away. My friends Meredith and Nikhi and I decided to have a graduation party together. I was making my invitation list and decided to mail one to Mr. Wonderful. I had no idea what his plans were for that day, let alone if he'd be interested in coming, but I thought it was worth a shot.
Saturday, May 29, 1999 came faster than any of us could have expected. After the graduation ceremony at the University of Houston, my family and I quickly headed back to our side of town to finalize the preparations for the party with my friends.


The party was great fun! We had a steady stream of friends and family all afternoon. We had great food and a big cake - half Texas A&M themed and half Stephen F. Austin themed (Meredith and I were headed to Aggieland, and Nikhi was off to SFA). The three of us even "treated" our guests to a sing along of our favorite song, "This is Me" by Mindy McCready. (Remember this, Meredith?! I still can't believe we did this!!)
The whole afternoon I kept an eye out for the one person I was really hoping would come - Mr. Wonderful. Hour 1 of the party past, and no sign. Hour 2 on the clock ticked by, and still no Mr. Wonderful. I started coming up with all different scenarios in my head for why he wouldn't come:
Maybe he has family plans, or
Perhaps he has a lot of other graduation parties to go to today, or
Maybe he didn't want to come. Maybe he didn't have the same feelings for me. I guess I had my shot last fall and it was really over...
7 comments:
Thank God there's life after prom!!! :) And, how funny that it was at Hotel Sofitel! If you'd only known what other fun dance that you'd be having there in 4 years...in a white dress, no less. hehe
ps. I still have that homecoming pic (the wallet) of y'all on my bulletin board at home. It's frozen in time just a bit.
Erica I LOVE your prom dress. You were gorgeous (and still are). I can't believe your story has so many twists and turns. I can't wait to read what happens next. Eventhough I know the ending of the story I find the beginning so interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the fun story telling...can't wait to hear the rest!
OH MY GOSH, I CAN'T BELIEVE HE DIDN'T ASK YOU TO PROM!! I just gasped at my desk. Looking forward to the next installment.
Nicole
OH MY GOSH!! Collin was in MY prom group!! As reading your blog I've had flashbacks to high school and all the sudden reading Alice's response on the blackboard and that she had gone to prom with him-- Alice was my best friend in HS (that friendship didn't last after HS and was actually very strained at the time of prom)-- it hit me... I was in the limo with Collin!! I remember it was kinda weird cause none of really knew this guy that Alice was bringing. I SAW that picture of him being taken by the pool- we all got pics taken out there because it was so pretty out there. WOW... talk about memories flooding back... I am cracking up! ahhhh... memories. How fun it's been to read you and Mr. Wonderful's story... can't wait for the next installment!
What a DRAMA!!! Love it! Your prom dress is gorgeous!
Post a Comment