I have cried more tears than I thought I could cry in ten years time. I have spent hours, even days, in emotionless dazes. I have been completely insensitive at times to other people's problems as I have been consumed in my own turmoil. Then there are the countless instances that I have seen something that results in immediate bawling. Like when I watched the Academy Awards a few weeks ago and saw Javier Bardem accept his award for Best Supporting Actor. As he gave his acceptance speech, his mother beamed from her seat in the front row. I began to sob as I thought that I may never get the privilege of seeing my child achieve his/her dream.
I want to have a baby. I want to be pregnant. I want to experience morning sickness and have my ankles swell. I would willingly accept stretch marks. I want to feel the flutter of my baby move and then eventually kick. I want to lie in a doctor's office with Colin by my side and look at an ultrasound monitor and see our little miracle. I think it would be fun to pick out a name together, trying different combinations to insure last name compatibility. I would gladly endure labor - the sweat, the tears, the pain, the agony...the beautiful miracle of life entering the world, the happy tears, the kiss from my husband when it's all done, holding new life in my arms. I want to experience the struggle of learning to nurse. I would willingly accept 2-3 hours of sleep at a time if it meant that I got to spend half the night up rocking my baby and singing to it. I want to change those nasty diapers - the ones that look like a bomb exploded! I want to do laundry every night or two. I long to give my parents and my in-laws the honorable title of grandparents. I want so desperately for my grandparents to meet my child and become great-grandparents. The list goes on...
That is the truth. Those are the cries of my heart. What I've learned, though, through this crazy ongoing process is that this journey and our pain can be filled with purpose if I allow it to bring glory to God.
I was devastated at the loss of our eight embryo babies. I couldn't understand why the Lord had taken all eight of them. When I learned that we had eight embryo babies, my heart's capacity to love grew. And when those babies went to be with the Lord, the void in my heart was very real. I knew that the Lord had given me this capacity for a reason, and so I began to pray. It was then that I realized that if I could not give this love to my own child right now, that He was calling me to give it to another.
It is my pleasure to introduce you to the newest member of our family - Charles Muli.


Charles is our new Compassion International child. He will be nine years old in May - he was born the month that Colin and I started dating! He lives in Kenya with his grandparents. Colin and I decided to "adopt" Charles in loving memory of our embryo babies. It is one small way that we are finding purpose in our pain with the hope that the Lord is praised and that He receives the glory that He is due.
9 comments:
Erica,
thank you for sharing your heart. My heart aches for you, it truly does. I BELIEVE you will have your babies and you will experience the pure wonder of rocking your sweet child to sleep. I can't wait for that day for you. I believe it will be soon.
I love that you have taken your pain and turned it into something good for another sweet child.
I am continuing to pray for you....
love,
Jaclyn
what a blessing you two will be to charles.
and thank yor for sharing...your pain, your questions, your grief, your hope. thank you for trusting us to bear it with you.
still praying, cristina.
Okay now I am crying AND I am at work. Thanks alot :)
In all seriousness, we have never stopped praying for you Erica, and I believe that the Lord will give you the desires of your heart.
You are a beautiful, compassionate woman, a follower of Christ, and I know that our Father will comfort you in your darkest hour.
Love you friend,
Jen
Thank you so much for being so open and honest. I can not even imagine how difficult this must be for you, but the fact that you are willing to share your pain with others is so encouraging! Your title is so fitting. Keep praising Him!!!
And, praise God that your pain and suffering is bringing JOY and HOPE to another so far away. I love that!!!
I wish I had the right words to say, but we both know that there are none. Just know that I am praying for you. You are so strong and I am so blessed to have you as my new "blog friend." Your transparency has been such an encouragement to me.
My sweet friend--how wonderful to adopt Charles in memory of your babies. I can truly empathize with you. I want a pregnancy for you so much, and I'm grateful that you are willing to be so transparent. May the Lord replace your weeping with joy and your mourning with dancing.
Hey! I just started a different blog--the address is livingforlater.blogspot.com. It's still very basic, but I'll explain later why the old one is gone. :-)
Love ya!
My heart aches as your words bring back strong emotions and I hate that you are having to experience this as I do remember how painful it is. I hope that we can bless you and comfort you with our friendship, our words and time of prayer together. I do know that the Lord has a special plan for you and Colin in His own time...take refuge in that.
I felt your pain as you wrote about it with tears in my eyes. Infertility just hurts so bad, but praise God that we have HIM to turn to for comfort. What would we do without HIM!
Post a Comment