
I have waited years to write this post, and it brings me great joy to tell you all that Mr. Wonderful and I are pregnant! Can you believe it?! What a miracle! PRAISE GOD! The reality is still sinking in, and I think it's only in the last couple of hours that I have allowed myself to rejoice and get excited! We are only a little over three weeks along, so things are very early and we definitely need your continued prayers for the safety and further development of our baby (or babies - time will tell).
It has been an emotional roller coaster of a week at our house. We have seen the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. Mostly we have just been confused. I write all this next stuff primarily to document the journey for ourselves, but I also know there are a few of you out there who love the details! So here goes...
The day after my embryo transfer procedure I scheduled my blood pregnancy test date for Thursday, May 22nd. (As I've mentioned before, we chose to keep this date private because we wanted to have time to process everything.) So last Thursday I went to the lab in the morning and had my blood drawn. The nurse called with the results that afternoon and said that the test came back positive but that my Hcg (the pregnancy hormone) was considered extremely low (it was 11; they were expecting it to be around 100). She told me this could mean one of three things: 1) we had a good pregnancy and my count had just not had the chance to rise yet, 2) that I was having an early miscarriage, or 3) an ectopic pregnancy. The nurse encouraged me to stay positive, but she also advised us to not tell a lot of people since everything was still very much up in the air. The nurse instructed me to come back in on Tuesday, May 27th for a retest. That evening we were pretty disappointed that the answer was not clear cut, but thankful that hope was still alive. And we were a little frustrated that we were going to have to wait another 5 days because of the Memorial Day holiday.
Beginning Friday things started to change. I apologize if this is too much information for some of you, but I started my period Friday afternoon/evening. As we headed into the weekend and nothing was changing with my body I was realizing that I was likely having a miscarriage. Colin and I even began the grieving process. There were many tears shed, lots of sleeping (I didn't really have motivation to do much of anything else), and more tears. We told our families what was going on. By the Lord's grace alone, around Monday afternoon/evening Colin and I began to slowly see glimmers of hope for our future family amidst our grief. We started to believe that God must have a child out there for us to adopt. We talked about how we'd start researching adoption agencies, etc. We even became a little excited about the possibility. On Monday night I spent 45 minutes writing a blog post to tell you all that we had a miscarriage (I intended to post it Tuesday afternoon following my retest).
On Tuesday I had my retest in the morning. I spent the day relaxing at home. I felt I already knew the results, so I really wasn't all that anxious. I got the phone call from the nurse in the early afternoon and to my complete shock she told me, "Your results look great!" My Hcg level had increased and my other counts looked good as well (my Hcg was 109; my nurse was expecting it to only be about 44 or so, if it even increased at all). She said that it was a good sign.
On Wednesday afternoon Colin and I went in to meet with our doctor. We told him about all that was going on with my body, and he basically said the blood counts were king. The rest did not really matter. He said it was not that uncommon for women to have a normal period the first month of their pregnancy. We were able to get a lot of our questions answered, and Colin and I walked away with some new hope.
I went in today for another blood retest. The doctor had told us during Wednesday's appointment that if the Hcg count plateaued or declined it would not be a good thing. We just wanted to see it continue to rise. My results came in this afternoon, and my Hcg had increased to 339! And we now feel much more comfortable telling the world that we are pregnant! We have a follow-up appointment with the doctor next week and hopefully we will learn some more then.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your continued love, support and prayers. It means so much to me that even though we had gone quiet on the blog, you all kept faithfully praying. What would our weekend have been like had we not been surrounded by your prayers? Thank you for believing and hoping and praying through it all!
Please take a moment to praise God with us for this precious miracle!
28 comments:
I have been hitting "refresh" all day long, waiting for this post! Praise God! I am so overjoyed for you, Erica! We are continuing to lift your precious babies to Him!
Woo-hoo! I am so excited for you both! I pray these next nine to ten months are some of the most joyous and fun! Love you!
WHOOP!! Congratulations. I was hoping that no news meant that you were savoring good news. I kept checking Blogline all week hoping for a post.
PS. Let your shopping begin ; )
Erica, this is wonderful news!! I have been checking in to see and so I was hoping that no news was good news. I'm so thrilled for you both. We will be praying for you in the coming weeks and months ahead!
AMEN! Congrats to you both! I'll be in TX next week and can't wait to hug you :)
PS: I saved my positive pregnancy test until the little people were 1.Hmm...I guess I was still doubting it?!?
Praise God! I just left you a message on your cell just wanting to check in and, lo and behold, here is the answer. Please call me anyways. We are so excited for you guys.
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! ERICA..I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am for you. Even now I am fighting back tears. I don't know if you got my moms message but we all just ate at Red Lobster and my dad checked your blog via blackberry...we saw his face and knew. We all just sat at Red Lobster and cried. This is THE BEST news. I am praying for your baby(ies) and I am jusr over joyed for you and Colin. Enjoy every moment!
Erica and Colin!!!!!JOY! JOY! JOY!
I'm alternating between crying and dancing.
All praise to our ALMIGHTY GOD!
We will continue to pray for you and your "baby brothers".
I love you guys.
Cheryl
I wish you could have been there to witness our Red Lobster moment!!! Jaclyn was so emotional. WE ARE SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!! I am rejoicing with you and continuing to pray.
I don't think I've ever checked one person's blog so many times in one week. It's unreal :)
Love you!!!
praise God!!! we are rejoicing with you--i dragged mike over to see the picture, he knew immediately what it meant. we will continue praying for the great news to keep on coming! :)
We just logged on after small group and saw the spectacular news. We got a bit choked up reading the pregnancy test. Praise the Lord!!! We will continue to pray for you all. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you!
YAY GOD!!! We are beyond thrilled for you and so thankful to the Author of Life. What a wonderful time for y'all! We're rejoicing with you!
We're so happy for you two!!! We're continueing to pray!!!!
God Bless,
Holly & Don
OH MY GOSH! SOOOOO excited for you. I will definitely continue to pray. God IS so good!
With tears of joy streaming down my face all I can say is PRAISE GOD!
These words can't show the blur of tears through which your mom (Grandma Hull) and I (Grandpa Hull) are reading this blog today. We are so thrilled! No words can express how these tears of joy look and feel. We love you and relish the next steps in this wonderous journey. Dad & Mom
YAY!!! Jenny text me last night and it was fabulous news! I am so excited for you both!
Praise the LORD, the giver of ALL good things!
I can't wait to watch the journey!!!
Praying for that sweet baby(ies)!!!
Congratulations to you both. I have been checking in for days on your post waiting to see if there was an answer. Again... congratulations!
That is wonderful news! I needed a smile this morning and got one reading your blog! Congrats! You both deserve to be parents.
We're still in Hawaii, but I've been finding a way to check your blog each day. John and I are so thrilled for you guys!!! Now the fun part begins!
Love, Nicole and John
Congratulations, Colin & Erica!!! Michael and I are soooo excited about the news! You both truly deserve this wonderful miracle. What an awesome God we serve!!
Yay! That's such great news, Erica. We're so excited for you and will keep you in our prayers.
Erica, we have been following your journey (in stealth mode) and are completely elated to hear such wonderful news! We will continue to pray for ALL of ya'll!
WOW!! I am praising the Lord with you and STILL praying for a safe pregnancy. I know yours is a story that is encouraging to all women, with infertility struggles or not. Thanks for being honest. Our babies won't be too far apart!! :)
Girl, it was my absolute delight to be able to hug you and tell you congrats before I could get online and comment here! (And I don't even know you that well!) ;) Your story IS such encouragement to ALL reading and we are praising our sweet father in heaven for blessing you with such a miracle. But of course, we won't stop praying! Y'all are too precious for words! So much love your way!
you don't know me, but i've been following your blog for quite some time now. i've been checking your blog everday waiting for a part 4. i am so excited for you and your husband! praise the Lord! He is so good! i'll continue to be praying for yall!
Oh my fiance and I have been praying so hard for you two! I know you don't know us but CONGRATULATIONS! We have an awesome God!
Congratulations you two! We are very excited for you. Does this mean you have to go to the other sunday school class?
Post a Comment