Friday, June 20, 2008

"That Girl"

I hate being a needy girl. I much prefer being the one who has all her stuff together and has everything, including her emotions, under control.

The Lord called me to speak up about our journey to parenthood. I know that He wants me to share my heart - the good, the bad, and the ugly. But I have tried writing this post so many times now, and have just ended up deleting it. I prefer to write posts that tie up at the end with a pretty bow. But does life ever tie up in the end with a pretty bow? Is that really being authentic? Probably not.

This week reality has settled in new ways. Maybe it's in part because I went back to work, and now life is supposed to just go on status quo. Maybe it has something to do with reading too many blogs - the blog world has been such a blessing in some respects, but in others it can become depressing. Everyone else's world appears to moving on beautifully and things are falling into place for them. I, on the other hand, have been called to a "be still" season. The thing I want most right now, the thing I have dreamed of and prayed for the majority of my life is not within my reach.

I am a doer. I am an achiever. I am very competitive (those of you who have ever played a game with me can attest to this!). I like to be moving. I want to see progress. So this "be still" thing is driving me insane. Why does everyone else's world get to keep moving forward and mine needs to rest? Why do other people get to keep progressing in their journey to parenthood and I have to wait? Why does it seem that someone else is announcing their pregnancy or the birth of their baby on their blog every other day and there is nothing in my power to change my situation? Just being honest. These are the questions that I wrestle with daily.

My bestie asked me yesterday in the most gentle, loving way if maybe my pride wasn't coming into play. I thought about that long and hard last night, and I think she may be on to something. I think my ego is telling me not to turn into "that girl." My pride is saying that everyone out there expects me to be sad and broken right now, and I want to prove them wrong and show them that you don't have to turn into a weepy mess.

But this is my newest reality. My miscarriage really happened. We lost three babies, and multiple other embryo babies, in the last month. It is highly probable that I will never experience a full-term, viable pregnancy - the ultrasounds with Mr. Wonderful, the growing belly, the joy after giving birth, nursing, etc. It is quite possible that we will never have biological children. This is our reality, sad but true.

I guess the Lord is trying to show me that it's not a bad thing to be "that girl" in certain circumstances. I am realizing that it's ok to be sad and grieve. It's healthy to allow yourself to experience painful emotions and ask the Lord to help you work through them. This is something that He and I need to work on together now. If I keep ignoring this it will turn into deep, buried wounds that I'll struggle with forever. And the jealousy and bitterness that comes from those wounds could do horrific damage - I could lose friends that I care for deeply (it's very possible that my infertility friends could have chidren before me, it's very possible that my "normal" friends could have their second and third children before me, etc.). It could cause rifts in my family. It could wreak havoc on my marriage. Worse yet, it could distance me from the Lord.

I need to work through these emotions with the Lord's help. And I think that I need to find a group of people that are also on the road to adoption with us. For the first time in a long time, I am feeling all alone in our journey again. (I hope this does not offend a few of you - Courtney, Jocelyn, etc. - who are in similar places that have reached out to me. It's just hard when you have no existing friends around that can relate to closing the medical treatment/pregnancy door with no child already in arms and move on to adoption).

So as much as I hate being "that girl," I am asking if you will pray for me, for us. Please pray for comfort and healing. Please pray against the enemy's attacks. Please ask the Lord to specifically help me with my competitiveness, my jealousy and my bitterness. And please ask the Lord to bring new friends along side us that can relate to our journey.

Thanks for hanging in here with me - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

14 comments:

Court said...

Dear Erica ~

Please know that I am praying for you this morning....that the Lord would comfort you, give you peace, and draw you closer to Himself during this time of loss and transition. You do need to grieve the losses. You're right...it will tear you up, if you don't. But also know, that everyone grieves in their own way and in their own time.

The Lord knows your heart, He hears your cries, and He is with you. Reach out to Him, cling to His promises, and know that you are loved!

Hugs,
Courtney

Anonymous said...

Erica,
That's so well said. You are always so strong, but it's also ok to let your guard down and be vulnerable too. We will continue to pray for you on your road to adoption and hope that you're able to find others who are able to provide advice and guidance.

Nicole and John

Ronda said...

Erica--
Wow! I love your authenticity. As hard as it is being "that girl," I think your vulnerability glorifies the Lord. We all have problems--baby or no baby in our arms--and yet so few of us are as truly authentic in sharing our emotions as you are. Thank you for being an example. Please know that I am truly praying for Him to move mightily on your behalf.

Love you so much!

Rusty and Jennifer said...

In your stillness, I know that God is doing great and mighty things. Your faith is such an encouragement to others. The lessons that you learn and share, are helping us all to grow.
Though you feel like your hands are idle, know that God's plans are busy at work. Somewhere, the child that He has for you is being knitted together.
I am praying that God will surround you with people that can love on you and encourage you in your journey to adoption.
I am thankful (AGAIN!) that God has brought us together. I pray that as you walk this road, He will use me to show you the heart of a birthmom. I feel sure that He will bless me by teaching me about the heart of an adoptive mother!
I am grieving with you for your loss, yet excited to see what God has in store for you guys!

The Trombleys said...

Thank you for being so real and transparent, Erica. After our first miscarriage, I allowed myself to grieve the full nine months; then I resolved that though I may still have pain at times, I'd no longer allow myself to wallow in it. In the meantime, one of my best friends became pregnant and when I visited her, I had to go cry in the bathroom because I could barely stand seeing her pregnant belly. The pain and yearning doesn't go away; we are meant to want this sooo badly. After the second two miscarriages, we believed it would never happen so we started looking into adoption also. And God met us where we were and changed our hearts. I literally wanted an adopted child MORE than a child from my own body. Can you believe that? God changed my desires to reflect His own!!

I pray you and Colin are able to grieve as much as is possible to grieve but believe this, that for those who love the Lord, "He who goes out weeping, carrying a seed to sow, will return with songs of JOY, carrying sheaves with him!" Ps. 126:6 Your season of sorrow is now, but I am so thankful He knows what the future holds for you and that you are not without HOPE!

Mary

Jenny said...

Erica,

I hope you realize that even in your deepest sadness, you are an encouragement to me. I don't know if that is worth much, but I continue to learn so much from you. The Lord is doing a mighty work THROUGH you, and I know He is doing one IN you as well.

Thank you for your honesty. You are so real and I think that is one thing that makes you so easy to love. I've prayed for you daily and will continue to!

Love you!
Jen

Anonymous said...

Colin and Erica --

I am so very sorry for your loses. I cannot imagine the pain and heartache you have been through. Please know that our prayers are with you.

When you have finished grieving (and only you will know when that is), if you want info on the adoption agency that Michael & Christie (our oldest and his wife) used for their first baby, please don't hesitate to contact us. If you want to speak with them, they are more than willing. It is a very hard decision that takes a lot of prayer. We are there for you if you need us.

Missy said...

Thanks for being so real. You put into words what I am sure many of us deal with in all areas of our lives. Praying that you would stay strong and keep you focus on God's plan for you.

cristina said...

*hugs*

Jocelyn said...

I think I related to everything you stated in that blog. That sinking feeling of "this is it... my reality"- that sick feeling that rises up in you and not knowing what to do with it, feeling that you have to be strong and show others that you are ok so that they will be ok... fear that showing anger or grief or fear will make you seem weak and untrusting of God and His plan. Thinking that you MUST immediately be OK and say that you know something will come of this... when inside you are screaming "WHY?" I don't know how many times I asked "why, God would you create this incredable desire in me, this overwhelming love for children only to shut the door on the natural, easy (at least for others) way?!?" I don't know what the answer is for you Erica. I know that I am still dealing with those questions at times. OK- you know what... as I finished up that last sentence, my 8 month old foster son started crying from in his bed... and ahhhh-- he is one answer to those questions, and hopefully some day soon I will be able to call him my forever son. I think for me, one of the things I've found God saying is that He created such an intense love for children because He knew that I would need that as I have been called to raise and love children that have not come from me biologically- they are someone else's children in reality, but the love God created in me has allowed me to love them as if they came from me.
Anyways- the real point I wanted to share with you is that you are not alone out there- there are people who have been through exactally what you are going through. I was blessed to have my aunt go through everything one step before me. Because you are right- you need to have that person who can understand completely, because it is a unique journey, a unique kind of ache. Thank you for being authentic on your blog, for sharing your heart and allowing others to come around you with love and prayer.

Jon and Sally said...

SO good. I'm really thankful for your openness about this. So thankful that you're working through the grieving AND the healing. They totally go hand in hand.
I've got your disease of wanting to appear strong and in control of things. It really isolates me and keeps me from pouring myself out to kindred fellowship. He's in the process of tearing away my pride as well. But it's amazing the beauty that comes from such a misshapen lump of coal. Sorry to quote Crystal Lewis...but it really is beauty from ashes!

On a lighter note...
You had asked earlier for recommendations of good agencies... There's a great one called "New Life" in Magnolia. My friend's mom is the director. Click on "Bacaks to the Rescue" to get to her blog from mine and New Life is linked on hers as well as MANY other useful links. Ok. Totally complicated, but I think you can handle it!!

Praying for you!
Sally

Jon and Sally said...

ok. ok. so the bible talks about beauty for ashes too!! but after that song in the '90s, every time I hear the phrase, it just sounds so cliche to me! His Word should never be cliche! It's truth.

just wanted to share that thought!

Cody and Shana said...

Erica,
I am just now catching up on blogs, I have been out of it for a while. As I read yours I just wanted to say, I know exactly how you feel at this point in your journey. Choosing to adopt for us was just last year and I remember having all those same feelings. And I can agree that it is different than the other parts of this journey, I have felt alone as well. There is so much more I'd like to say but I feel stuck, can I get your email, if that's okay? I'd love to chat with you. Mine is shana_albert@yahoo.com.

Linda said...

Erica,
I am so sorry for your losses. I am praying for you, Colin and your family. I am inspired by your faith, outlook and your ability to write your feelings so eloquently. It is very hard to deal with things beyond our control. I have to remind myself on a daily basis that I have no control and I keep the Serenity prayer close to my heart. Celebrate your wonderful husband and family. You are truly blessed with them.

Take Care,

Linda