Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Road Update

Thank you for all of your encouraging words, thoughtful e-mails and your prayers. You all are a true blessing!

This weekend Mr. Wonderful and I had the privilege of escaping to Lake Travis (outside of Austin) with our friends Jon and Sarah. Sarah has been my friend for over 17 years, and she and I have lots of sweet memories together. Her parents graciously opened their beautiful lake house, and the four of us had a wonderful time relaxing (and playing!) in the beauty of the Texas hill country.

Our time away, especially in the quiet moments on the drive to/from Austin and the serene time on the boat cruising around the lake, afforded me some blessed opportunities for reflection. I was able to get honest with myself and God and examine the "why's" behind the pain in my heart. The Lord used that time to reveal much to me. I feel refreshed, and for the first time in awhile I feel excited about what lies ahead of us!

Which leads me to my update...

Mr. Wonderful and I have spent much of the summer in research-mode and prayer as we've explored the vast world of adoption. As I have mentioned here before, we are immensely grateful for several "new" friends who are on also on this journey, and for the wisdom that they continue to share with us.

The Lord has led us to pursue public adoption through a local Houston agency called Arrow Child & Family Ministries. We are nearly done with the initial paperwork/application and have begun taking the training classes. For example, we are now officially certified in CPR and First Aid for infants, children, and adults! (I recommend everyone take that class, by the way.) We have approximately ten other classes to take over the next month or so, and there is an extensive list of other requirements that we must complete before we can become licensed foster care parents including a handful of inspections of our home as well as interviews, FBI fingerprints, TB tests, etc.

In the next several days I will do an Adoption 101 post (similar to my In Vitro 101 post) to help explain what we've learned about the different adoption options (international vs. domestic, private vs. public, etc.) and what the Lord has revealed to us about His path for our family.

I think most of the pain and saddness I have felt over the past several weeks has been a result of an internal turmoil in my heart. Adoption is very unique. We do not have a 9 or 10 month heads up that our family is growing. But more than that, for me as a woman, I do not have that time which gives us ladies permission to get excited about a baby, nest and decorate a nursery, have a shower with family and friends, etc.

But that turmoil is ending today. In my own way, the Lord has uniquely given me a forewarning that our baby is coming. I may not have a growing belly bump and ultrasound pictures on my refrigerator, but we are confident that the Lord is knitting together our family even today. It's time to get excited about the possibilities, to dream and pray for our child just like other expectant parents. And it's time to start preparing our home to welcome our little miracle!

So on Monday I will be heading to the baby stores to start researching/shopping. Anyone care to join me?!?!?!

**Special note to Mr. Wonderful - Brace yourself, sweetheart! I've been dreaming of this since I was 2 years old! It's gonna be fun...

15 comments:

Michelle said...

Shopping for baby stuff is so fun! You're going to have a really great time. I wanted to suggest that you pick up the latest copy of Baby Bargains to take with you. They research all the stuff that's out there based on safety and parent feedback. It is especially helpful for picking out cribs, mattresses, and car seats. Make sure you get a new copy, though, because they are always coming out with new stuff, so an old edition wouldn't be as helpful. Enjoy your shopping!!!

Todd, Kari, Anna and Gracie said...

Not being able to have a baby of your own can be upsetting. It can make you feel sad and empty. I am so sorry to hear that you have been crying and upset. I wish I could take that pain away. The one thing that I'm really happy to read is your decision in adoption. I truly am very excited for you!!! Maybe this is the road that the Lord wishes for both of you. There are so many babies out there that need parents like you...I think the Lord knows your the perfect mother to do that!!

Have fun shopping and let us know what you like...what you pick...and what colors you choose!!

Wherever this road takes you....the Lord is with you. I am thinking about you and praying that you get everything you want in life!!! You never know...you could be blessed with MANY babies!!! (((SMILE)))

Court said...

Erica,
I was excited to read your post today...and to hear the excitement in your writing. I remember how it felt to get to the point that you're at today...and rejoicing with you. All in the Lord's timing. We all grieve differently and in our timing. God remains steadfast and patient...and I sure am glad for that!

You're right ~ you don't know the timing of when your little one will come home, so it's hard to prepare. Just do the best you can, with what you have. As a Type-A personality, bordering on OCD :), I had a very hard time not being fully prepared for Maggie when she came home. Of course, we only had one week notice and up until that time, we didn't even know if we would have one or two children, boys or girls, or even what age. We had the essentials and the rest came later. We had a crib, a car seat, and a highchair. We knew where she would sleep, where she would eat and that we could take her places. What else do you need, huh?! :) All this to say, enjoy the shopping but don't worry about having everything just right. The only thing that will matter is that your little one is home and in your arms...and that's the best homecoming he/she will have!

Praying for you as you go through the mountain of paperwork and classes. I remember that all too well!

Hugs,
Court

Jaclyn said...

i am so excited! Yay! Are you going to register? If you need any help/advice let me know. There are already things I wish I had gotten with grace and didn't.
I am so excited for you Erica! And I totally understand about dreaming of nurseries etc. for so long. This is the fun part!!!!

Marianne said...

I have got the latest Baby Bargains book that Michelle mentioned. I can get it to you this week. :) I am so excited about your excitment! I am praying for your growing family.

Margaret said...

Oh, I have chills.

I have a baby list link on my blog... you've probably already found it.

We went through some of the classes at Arrow years ago to get registered as respite providers for some of our College Station friends that fostered. They ended up adopting the son.

Rusty and Jennifer said...

I am so happy that you have a peace about moving forward with Arrow.

I cannot wait to see what God has in store for you and how He is going to grow your family.

What an exciting time as you start this process and get into baby mode!

Ronda said...

Oh, I wish I could be there to help you baby shop! I pray that you truly soak up and enjoy this time. For all you know, this might be the calm before a very wonderful storm. I've been praying for you and I'm so glad to hear about the Lord's work in your heart. You are going to be a wonderful mommy, and I pray it happens very soon!

The Boudreaux Family said...

Let the fun begin! I'm thrilled that you are joyful about your new family and are starting the nesting process. You are going to have so much fun. Let me know when we can start planning a baby shower for you guys. Yay.

Anonymous said...

SO wonderful and I am SO happy for you. Adoption is a wonderful route. I really believe the two of you will be such nice parents.

Shane and Laura said...

Just like some others posted, you have to read the book Baby Bargains. I have it and can give it to you next Tuesday night. You know I am home and had to do a registry that was geared to the unknown, so I would love to join you anytime. It can be overwhelming. God is working miracles with you and Colin as we speak.

Court said...

hey there :) I tagged you tonight on my blog :)

sarah h said...

Hi Erica! I'm so glad and grateful that the Lord is pouring hope and excitement into your heart! I was praying for that. You are most definitely an expectant mommy and it's time to get ready for your precious little one! yay! I would be running up & down the aisles of Baby USA or Babies R Us with you in a heart-beat if we were going to be in Houston this weekend. I hope you have a blast and keep us posted on registries, showers, and the like! Enjoy the long weekend!

Cody and Shana said...

Hey Erica, I love your honesty that you share so openly about your emotions and how hard this journey is at times. That alone touches people in a realistic way, because we all have felt the same way at one time or another. But it's so neat to hear that God has given you a new outlook from here on out. We may know the God's Truth, but it's a daily surrendering that gets us through. I had been wondering how the adoption process has been going, so I'm excited to hear that yall are moving right along. You're still in my prayers...I'm right there with ya girl!

Lindsee Lou said...

Girl, know that y'all are being prayed for and that you are so loved. Even in your pain and sadness, and grieving, the Lord is still getting His glory!

Thank you for being so open and honest with us. It truly helps me to know how to pray for you.

Can't wait to hear more about this adoption journey.

Lindsee