Friday, August 22, 2008

What's Goin' On?

A lot.

There is a part of me that feels like I've been hiding out behind the "Me & My Man" series for over a month now. Don't get me wrong - I have loved every minute of reminiscing and documenting our love story. It has been therapy in a way. It's been good for me to focus on the positive and the blessings in my life because there have been many dark days recently.

This summer has been tough for me. The reality of our situation has continued to settle, and it sucks. There have been a few days in the last month where I didn't even have the will power to get out of bed. Why? What's the point? That's how I felt. There have been lots and lots and lots of tears. (Has Kleenex's stock price gone up?!) And there have been time where I have seriously felt like God gave me one of the worst lives ever. I know this may sound dramatic, but I'm just being honest.

In my spheres of involvement (work, friends, church, etc.) I have double-digit number of people that are pregnant. A couple weekends ago we had three different couples tell us they were pregnant - three friends in two days! It has been overwhelming at times. I am very excited for all of these people, and it brings me joy to see their dreams come true and watch their families grow. It just hurts too. It's a reminder that pregnancy is so natural (and in some cases easy). Why not us too?

My whole life my parents have encouraged me and told me that I could be anything I wanted to be. They have challenged me and supported me in all my endeavors. Growing up in the church I was also taught that there are certain areas in which you don't back-down or compromise. Perhaps it's an unhealthy sense of self-entitlement, but this is one of those areas I am having a hard time letting go and backing down on. I want this so badly. It seems so basic - don't compromise when it comes to your family. We've done everything we can do and sacrificed a lot too, yet God is still holding out on us (or at least that's how I feel sometimes). Adoption was not our Plan A, and it wasn't even our Plan B. In my limited human-perspective, I feel like He's asking us to settle.

I am learning there is nothing I can do any more. NOTHING. I just have to let God hold me and carry me through this. And I have to trust Him. He has a different calling for our family, and I must trust that for us it will be so much better than any other alternative. I can trust Him not just because it's "the right thing to do" but because He has proven to me time and time again that He is truly trustworthy. It's not compromising, it's not second (or third) best. His ways are higher than ours. Not just higher like we are too "human" or stupid to understand them. Higher as in better, greater, superior.

And so we are choosing, by His strength and grace alone, to follow Him. He is leading us down this path to adoption, and no matter how many times I throw myself down on the ground, kicking and screaming and throwing a tantrum about this, He continues to lovingly pick me up and carry me further.

We have made some steps on our road to adoption, and I look forward to sharing more on that with you in the near future. This is enough for now. This is what's goin' on with me - struggling and hurting on my own, but finding strength and focus because of Him.

I share all this because I know that in this broken, screwed up world there are a lot of you out there that are hurting too. I just want you to know that you're not alone. My heart is breaking right now too. Let's band together, though, and commit to pray for one another. With God's help and the support of fellow Believers we will be overcomers, not the ones overcome. So, what's goin' on with you? E-mail me or leave a comment if there is something specific I can be praying for you about.

7 comments:

Rusty and Jennifer said...

As always, you and I are on the same page and I am so blessed to have you.
I have been writing a draft in my head about what a tough few weeks this has been for me.
We both know that there are no words and there is nothing that I can do to fix this for you. But, know that I am praying always. And I am praying for your little one- wherever they are.
No matter where our journeys to parenthood lead us, I will always be here for you.
Hang in there.

Court said...

I have been thinking of you guys and remembering what it was like to get started on the new journey. I have been on my knees for you! Thanks for your encouragement and prayers over the past week....it has at times, been more than I can bear....but I just have to keep holding on to the One who holds me!

Shane and Laura said...

Sorry I have been "away" for awhile. I have so enjoyed you and Colin's story. Erica, I am praying so hard for you right now to accept God's plan and for peace within your heart. Whenever those babies are yours, I believe you WILL think it WAS God's Plan A...but I know how hard this is. I look forwared to catching up soon.

Ronda said...

I am so sorry you are hurting, Erica. Please know I am praying for you during this time. I pray the Holy Spirit will give a comfort that no words can.

Love you, sister.

sarah h said...

I'm so sorry! Yours and Colin's family is still very much in our prayers. Y'all are going to be such fantastic parents and your child will truly be blessed.

We had a great time hanging out with y'all this weekend!

Jaclyn said...

I am so sorry you are hurting Erica. I continue to pray for you, Colin and your family.

Jocelyn said...

Oh Erica. I am so sorry that this has been so tough on you. I understand, I have been there. I wish I had the words to say to let you know that there is a light at the end and that the hurt will subside... but that is sometimes not the reality as I am finding out in my own life. Please, PLEASE reach out to those who know and understand. Let them cry with you- you are in a wonderful position knowing so many individuals with this struggle as well... to know you are NOT alone. It is a journey that is rough and hard and you will come out with scraped knees, soar muscles and a heavy heart. Lean on God as he is the healer of these wounds. There IS a plan for your sweet family and I wish I could tell you what it is. Let yourself be angry, to grieve and then pick yourself up and be the champion for children you know you can be. Your child is out there- whether born all ready, being carried at this time, or just a thought in God's heart... and that child will need you. You are being prepared at this very moment to have the desire, the commitment and the love you will need for that child. Hang in there my friend. I am here when you need me.