Sunday, January 4, 2009

First Annual Shareholders' Meeting

One month after Mr. Wonderful and I were married we joined the Becoming One class at Cypress Bible Church. We immediately felt at home. In a class of only four or five couples who were all newly-married, we felt accepted. We could relate to these couples and their journeys. And over the last five years the class has grown exponentially, and we have been so blessed.

About six months into our time in Becoming One a new shepherding couple joined the class - Jack and Cheryl Martin. There was an instant connection. We admired. We loved. We were challenged. They taught us that in many respects our family is like a business. Both Mr. Wonderful and I bring different strengths, talents, and weaknesses to this organization. We each have our roles. And the Martins challenged us to view Mr. Wonderful's dreams and Erica's dreams as our dreams. It's not about him. It's not about me. It's about our family. It's about us. We are in this together. And just like a business, we as a Believing family need to be purposeful.

Then just a few weeks ago two different couples from our church shared with us how they have annual meetings as a couple around the first of each year. They go on a date and reflect together on the year that has passed - what they've done well, what they haven't done well. Then they dream together and set goals for the new year.

Mr. Wonderful and I were inspired. We decided to start annual shareholders' meetings for ourselves.

And so this morning was our first meeting. In an effort to keep things simple we held our meeting at Panera. Over bagels and hazelnut coffee, of course. We discussed. We reflected. We laughed. We dreamed.

Mr. Wonderful shared with me the mission statement he wrote for our family:

"To be Christ followers by living transparent lives, stepping into the lives of others, being excellent stewards with all the Lord has given us, and taking risks for Him."

Isn't that great?! It encompasses so much of what Mr. Wonderful and I strive to do and articulates it so well. We want to live real, authentic lives. We recognize that others are not necessarily going to step into our lives, so if we want to be involved and build relationships with those around us we need take initiative and step into their lives. We want to be generous, giving, selfless people. And we want to be bold in our faith, willing to abandon our comfort zones and take risks, trusting in Him alone.

I was extremely blessed by our time together this morning. I encourage you all to consider doing something similar with your spouse. It's powerful to reflect, pray and dream together.

Here's to great things in 2009!

2 comments:

Rusty and Jennifer said...

What a neat tradition and sweet time for you and Colin. I love his mission statement!
I know that 2009 is going to hold BIG and exciting things for you guys! I can't wait to see what God has in store for you!

Sharon said...

Awesome. The mission statement shows the depth of his love for the Lord.