Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Kitchen is the Heart of the Home

And the repairs on mine are D-O-N-E!

(Well, actually, the repairs have been done for a month now, but I'm just a little slow on the blog.)

Before:


This picture was taken last year after my kitchen makeover last January.

And then in September Hurricane Ike wreaked havoc in Southeast Texas, and our house took a bit of a beating. The most visible damage (besides the roof outside) was in our kitchen.




There was water all over the kitchen floor, and homegirl slipped and fell on the tile once. Ouch! But we were blessed that the water was confined to the kitchen. The other leaks throughout the house did not come all the way through the ceiling/paint (no carpet or other flooring was harmed).

In November the contractors came. Our house was a mess. Tarps hung everywhere. Fine white sheet rock dust found its way into every nook and cranny. For about three weeks our house was turned upside down.

But Mr. Wonderful and I decided to live by our mantra in 2008 and do our best to turn a not-so-pleasant experience into a good one! Since our entire ceiling in the kitchen had to be torn down and recreated, we decided to upgrade our lighting.

Bye bye to the florescent lights!

And, hello, to these beauties:




We are so pleased with how things turned out. The new lighting makes a huge difference. And the best part - all the lights are now on dimmer switches! LOVE IT! I now always keep the lights slightly dimmed because I think it makes the kitchen look warm and inviting and homey!

Well, there you have it! I would love for you to come by and have a cup of coffee and see it for yourself sometime soon!

P.S. We're still hoping to make one addition to this kitchen soon - perhaps a highchair or two?!! No word yet from the agency, which is making me antsy. But we're just trying to remember that this is all in God's perfect timing. I'll let you all know as soon as we hear something. Thank you for your continued prayers!

6 comments:

Jaclyn said...

I LOVE the lighting. You are right, it really does make such a difference, and don't you just love dimmer switches?! :)
I am praying about those high chairs!!!

Rusty and Jennifer said...

It looks great! Now it is time to fill it up!!

cristina said...

even before i read your text i notice the new light fixture--it's beautiful. :)

thinking and praying about you....wanting to take you up on the coffee thing.... :)

Anonymous said...

I'm in love with that pendant light over the island! What a great improvement! And I'm sorry the agency is taking a little longer than you hoped...but it will all be worth it!

Nicole

Sharon said...

I love the new kitchen and I fully understand the sheetrock dust and all that goes with it. Everything looks great.

Ronda said...

Your kitchen looks so pretty!!!! I know you must have been thrilled when it was completely finished. Just another fun addition for your family and for all the hosting you love to do!