This has been one of the craziest and best weeks of my life! I am completely in love with my little boy. He is precious and I can't get enough of his handsome face, his sweet smell, his cute noises, his soft chocolate skin...I could go on and on.
This week has been unbelievably busy. Thankfully Mr. Wonderful was able to work from home this week, which has turned out to be a HUGE blessing. He is an amazing dad. I love watching him interact with Nate, gently caring for him and loving on him. I have fallen in love with my man in a new way this week. We make a great team, and I know that I am immensely blessed.
Tuesday was Nate's first doctor's appointment and all went very well. My little man weighs 7 lbs. 3 oz. now (up nearly 1 lb since he was placed in my arms)! The doctor and nurse staff were very encouraging to us, which was much appreciated. Like any new parents, we can be nervous at times and question if we are doing things "right." It was a blessing to hear from the staff that we are managing just fine.
We had to take Nate to the pediatric clinic at the hospital he was born. It was an interesting, humbling experience to say the least. From the time we walked through the front door of the hospital to the time we left took 4 hours. FOUR HOURS! It made us appreciate the doctors and insurance that we have access to on a regular basis and gave me greater compassion for the families that are just trying to make ends meet and take care of their kids. Can you imagine having 2 or 3 kids and each time you took one to the doctor it took 4 hours?! I have a new respect for families like the ones we sat next to in those waiting rooms.
There was a funny experience from our time at the hospital on Tuesday that I think is definitely blog-worthy. After we met with the doctor we had to go to the lab for Nate's blood work. Two sweet black ladies were sitting next to us in the waiting room, and they immediately began looking at Nate and smiling in awe over him. We began a conversation with them. We told them that Nate was 9 days old, and they were so sweet saying things like, "I can tell he is in a great home," and "When you all sat down, I could sense the Spirit with you all. I wish you all the God's greatest blessings on your family." It was so sweet and touched us deeply.
Then out of nowhere this large white man comes walking down the waiting room and stops in front of us. I'm not sure if he was drunk or if something was wrong with him, but I could tell something was off. He looks down at me and Nate and says, "Did I hear you say that he's only 9 days old?" I reply yes, and he proceeds to tell us to take lots of pictures because babies grow up so fast. Then he walked away. I thought we were done with this strange man and breathed a small sigh of relief.
At this point I hand Nate over to Colin and reposition myself in my chair. Then from down the waiting room I hear that strange man's voice.
Man (quite loud): "Sweetheart!"
I ignore him.
Man (a little quieter): "Man, she didn't hear me."
Man (a couple seconds later and loud again): "Sweetheart!"
I turn to look his way.
Man: "Are you sure that's your baby?!"
I begin to silently panic thinking to myself that if he says something about Nate's race I don't know what I'll do in this crowded waiting room.
Me: "Yes, I am certain this is my son."
Man (very loudly): "'Cause you look fantastic! You've lost all of your baby weight in only 9 days! I guess it pays to have kids young."
Me: "Thank you." And then I turn away, hoping that's the end.
Then I hear one of the sweet black ladies sitting next to us saying quietly to me, "Just smile and nod. Just smile and nod. He's just trying to put the pieces together."
Mr. Wonderful and I had to try hard to contain our laughter. I guess this is the first of many laughs we'll get as new parents! :)
Thank you all for your continued prayers! If you think of us this weekend, please say a prayer for Mr. Wonderful and me. I am headed to Dallas for my friend's wedding (I'm a bridesmaid), and Mr. Wonderful will be on daddy-duty all weekend with the help of the grandmas. Thank the sweet Lord that my sweet friend Jennifer has graciously agreed to be my date this weekend. I don't think I could be away from Nate for so long by myself (those car rides would be brutal); instead it's going to be a fun girls' weekend road trip!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Yay...a post! I know how hard it is to get the computer and blog, especially during the first days/weeks. I'm so glad to hear that Nate's gained such great weight! Believe me, I know how those 4 hour appts go. It is a humbling experience to say the least.
So thankful that all is going well this first full week. I'm sure it will be hard to be away from the little man this weekend, but how great that Jenni is going to be able to go with you. I'm sure the grandmas are going to be in heaven this weekend!!!!
I am so glad things are going well for you. I hope you are able to enjoy your weekend in Dallas, but I know you will miss precious Nate.
I loved the funny story at the hospital. It made me laugh out loud. I am glad the appointments went well even though they were so long. Have a safe trip to Dallas and I will say a special prayer while you are away from your hubby and baby.
It's going to be a wonderful weekend. I know that it will kill you to be away from him, but it will be good for you to have some "Mommy time" for yourself. I am ready for you and Colin to start getting in some dates so that I can keep Nate!
If it will make you feel better, I can wake you up every couple of hours (so that you will feel like you are at home!)
Can't wait to kiss his cheeks again...Only a few more hours!
Hope you have SO much fun in Dallas!
oh, my, that made me laugh. how gracious God is to prepare you for that man with those two ladies! i love the end, "just smile & nod. he's just trying to put the pieces together"!
i wonder if he ever did and then did one of those V8-forehead slaps.
have a safe trip! take one of his little blankets to snuggle with. :)
Hope you have a great weekend! I'm so glad that y'all are having a blast with your little guy. I'm looking forward to seeing both you next weekend!
Hi just to say I have enjoyed reading your blog and am so pleased God has blessed you with a lil boy.
enjoy your week-end x
Oh girl! That is the funniest thing. And you definitely seemed to handle it well. I can't wait to hear more stories about your little man and your new little family! How fun that will be. I hope the wedding was great and that you had a good weekend. I am sure you'll be ready to get back to your boy!
Lindsee
P.S. I LOVE his name! Love it!
Post a Comment