I recently signed up for the "Daily Double Portion" e-mail. Each week day I receive a short e-mail full of wisdom and encouragement about relevant topics related to infertility (i.e. the last e-mail covered depression and infertility). Each e-mail also contains scripture verses, which have been a tremendous help to me. The verses refocus my heart on the Truth, which helps squash those terrible lies from the enemy that often swirl in my thoughts.
The e-mails come from a Christian infertility support ministry called Sarah's Laughter. I believe that they took the name for the e-mail, "Daily Double Portion," from Hannah's story in the Bible. Hannah struggled for years with infertility. I can harldy imagine the depth of Hannah's pain and sadness. I have experienced disappointment and loss, but not year after year after year the way Hannah did. Hannah's husband Elkanah loved her deeply. Even though she had not provided him an heir (the ever so important stamp for women in those days), he gave her a double portion of food each day. Elkanah gave one portion of food to himself, one to his other wife Peninnah (remember it was the norm back then for men to have more than one wife), and one portion to each of his kids (all from Peninnah). But he gave Hannah a double portion. Why? Because Elkanah loved Hannah fully, and it was his attempt to encourage her and help fill the void of childlessness.
In the same way, I believe that God loves each of us deeply. I believe that He is right there next to us on our infertility journeys. I believe that He regularly gives those of us who are hurting in this way a double portion of love in a variety of creative avenues. He is faithful to make His presence known in our lives, even in our darkest days.
If you are interested in receiving the Daily Double Portion in your inbox, send an e-mail to ddp@sarahs-laughter.com to enroll.
Friday, March 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment