Do you have any songs where when you hear them they transport you back to a specific place or a distinct season in your life? I love songs like that. I have several of my own. Like when I hear Garth Brooks' "The River" I am immediately taken back to when I was in junior high riding around the lake on a jet ski with my friend Sarah singing this song at the top of our lungs! :) Or every time I hear Ginny Owens' "If You Want Me To" it reminds me of our journey through Colin's cancer. And when I hear Natalie Cole's "This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)" in my head and heart I am once again walking down the aisle out of the sanctuary with Mr. Wonderful on the best day of my life! (Yes, that was the recessional song at our wedding, and it was so fun!!)
The Lord is faithful to give me songs to mark different seasons of my life. My journey through infertility is no different. The song He has given me for this season is "You Were There" by Avalon.
I love this song because it reminds me that God is always present. And not just present, but actively present. The song tells the stories of two major iconic Biblical figures - David and Abraham. The lyrics describe a major trial in each of these men's lives, and the song so beautifully reminds us that God was there for them.
You Were There
I wonder how it must have felt
When David stood to face Goliath on a hill
I imagine that he shook with all his might
Until You took his hand, and held on tight
'Cause You were there, You were there
In the midst of danger's snare
You were there, You were there always
You were there when the hardest fight
Seemed so out of reach
Oh, You were there, You were always there
You were always there
So there he stood upon that hill
Abraham with knife in hand was poised to kill
But God in all his sovereignty had bigger plans
And just in time, You brought a lamb
'Cause You were there,
You were there
In the midst of the unclear
You were there, you were there always
You were there when obedience
Seemed to not make sense
You were there, You were always there
You were always there
So haven't I learned that my ways
Aren't as high as Yours are
And You alone keep the universe
From crumbling into dust
You are God and though we would
Not have understood You
There You were
Hanging blameless on a cross
You would rather die than leave us in the dark
Every moment, every planned coincidence
Just all makes sense
With Your last breath
You were there, You were there
During history's darkest hour
You were there, You were there always
You were the Victor and the King
You were the power in David's sling
You were the calm in Abraham
You are the God who understands
You are the strength when we have none
You are the living, Holy one
You were, You are and You will always be
the Risen Lamb of God
The best part is that the God of David and the God of Abraham is the same God of today. He is our God. And just as He was there in David's and Abraham's greatest times of need, He is here for us too. He is our strength, our peace and our hope! We serve a loving, living God who is actively present in our lives today. He meets us exactly where we are, and even more than that, He understands. He intimately knows our pain, our tears, our frustrations, our anger, our fears, and our sorrow. He loves us enough to give His only Son that we might have a relationship with Him. A relationship in the good times and the bad. A relationship that will continue past today, past our current circumstances, and last for eternity!
As Colin and I begin the next chapter in our infertility journey the first hints of anxiety have already begun. I had my iPod playing in shuffle mode in my car today and although I have several songs on there and was only in the car for less than an hour total, I heard this song twice today. Do you think God is trying to tell me something?!
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." - Deut. 31:6
Here's a recording of the song. Just in case you've never heard this gem!
Friday, March 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I absolutely love this song, too! I have played it over and over on my ipod. What a wonderful reminder; in the midst of all of this uncertainty- He is there watching over you and Colin. He will never leave you and I believe that He will bless you beyond anything we can imagine!
Hang in there. Keep giving those fears to the Lord. I am praying!
I love how songs totally relate to certain times in our lives. Reading your list brings back many memories! So glad God is speaking to you yet again threw this time. Praying for you as you begin this next phase!
Sorry I've been out of touch. Went back home for some time with family. I will be praying for you and Colin as you embark upon this journey again in the coming weeks. Love you!
Beautiful song! Thanks for sharing that. When I hear the River, I'm immediately taken back to dashing across the lake on the jetski with you! (Funny how we learned a little physics lesson doing it... that sound travels really well over water!!)
I love that songs capture memories so well!
Post a Comment