I have tried writing this post about five times now. I love to write, and usually words come easily to me. This post is different. Words feel so inadequate. Inadequate to describe the pain we've been feeling, but also inadequate to describe the peace and healing as well.
In order to be true to the purpose of this blog - authenticity and transparency - I want to give this a try. Please bear with me.
Thursday was a terrible day. Mr. Wonderful called it the worst day of his life (which is powerful coming from a guy who by no means embraces drama/exaggeration and who has also been to the brink of death and back in the past). The doctor's news shattered our world. We found out that all three of our babies did not survive, and we also learned that our dream of a successful IVF pregnancy was dead as well.
The strongest emotion we both battled on Thursday after our appointment was anger. I was livid. Mr. Wonderful felt so defeated that he wanted to throw in the towel on everything (again, not like my Mr. Wonderful in the least). We could not fathom why God would allow things to play out like this. Why would He take our babies away from us when it is in His full power to breath life into them? Why would He allow us to learn we are possibly pregnant, then grieve what we thought was a miscarriage over Memorial Day weekend, then tell us the following week that our counts were improving and quite strong, then allow us to celebrate our pregnancy with friends and family, to ultimately take the lives within me home to Him? Why? Why? Why?
Thursday night I slept 14 hours. It was fitful sleep, though. I awoke several times in the night with vivid, painful dreams. Sometime I would awake shaking I was so mad, and other times I would wake up sobbing with a wet pillow case. A beautiful thing happened to me that night, though. Amidst my terrible dreams and strong emotions I kept hearing the lyrics to Casting Crowns' "Praise You in This Storm." It was the strangest thing. One part of my mind was racing with anger and grief and the other part was subconsciously reciting the lyrics to this song. It wasn't until Friday morning that I fully appreciated what was happening. Just like the lyrics say, God was quietly whispering to me through the rain, "I am with you." He was reminding me that He had not left my side and that He was still very much sovereign over this journey.
Friday we continued to struggle with grief and pain over our loss. The Lord was faithful to delicately help us put one foot in front of the other. And as we talked through things, we began to feel a strange sense of peace and relief. As I have mentioned before, we knew going into this cycle (our third try) that it would be our last. And although we were both grieving the fact that we will likely never experience pregnancy and we will likely never have a biological child, I felt the burden of infertility and IVF lift off of me. I was relieved that my life was no longer going to be dictated by an IVF calendar. I have given nine months of my life and had more doctor's appointments, ultrasounds, blood work needle pokes, and tests than I can even begin to count. I have had multiple procedures, and have administered roughly 200 injections in my thighs, stomach, and hips (some with the help of Colin and my brave friend Jess). We have spent enough money to buy a very nice car or pay for 3/4 of a college education at Texas A&M. More than all this is the emotional toll this journey has had on both of us. Tears have been plentiful and fear/stress were constant nagging companions.
This next stuff may not make complete sense to a lot of you, even those of you who are on your own infertility journeys. Believe me, I would have never dreamed that these words would ever come out of my mouth until now - I have unexplainable peace and relief that this chapter of my life is over. The Lord is bringing us to a point where we can now realize that it is not pregnancy that makes a family. Families are all hand-picked by Him, and no matter how they come together, He is the author. We are trusting that He is knitting our family together even now.
I do not regret any decision we have made up to this point. The Lord is with us, and He has opened every door and walked us through each step of the way. He continues to do a great work in our heart and it is only because of Him that we are able to be cognizant that He is lovingly closing the IVF door. The peace that we feel at the end of this chapter is only by His grace.
Mr. Wonderful and I have had a heart for adoption for years. In fact, Ronda reminded me the other day that Mr. Wonderful and I were talking about adopting kids five years ago when we first met her. Mr. Wonderful and I always pictured that we would have one or two kids "naturally" (naturally for us, of course, means through IVF) and then adopt a couple more. Apparently, though, the Lord has something bigger and better planned, and we are excited.
I have always liked to be a little different. Not a freak that stands out like a sore thumb, but I don't like blending in with everyone else either. It brings me great excitement that our family will likely not look like everyone else's. I have prayed for five years that our marriage would shine Jesus to the world. I have prayed too (especially in the last nine months) that our family would bring glory to God. I am thrilled that it is quite possible that just looking at our family will elicit questions. Questions that will allow us to share the great work the Lord has done in our lives. What an honor that our journey will be told over and over again, for years and generations to come, and His goodness and His glory will continue to shine through it! What a privilege to be a part of this legacy!
Thank you for continuing to stand by our side through all this. Thank you for your loving cards, voice mails, and e-mails over the past several days. Thank you most of all for going before the Lord on our behalf. The Lord has honored your prayers and protected us and given us great strength. Please continue to pray for our fresh wounds. Specifically it continues to hurt us that we will likely never have a biological child - we still struggle accepting this one. Please also pray for us as we slowly begin to embark on our new journey to adoption. If you know of any good agencies, please feel free to leave the name and website in a comment. We are definitely in research mode. Also, we know of several families who have come about through private adoptions (i.e. where a friend of a friend knows of a young woman wanting to place her baby for adoption and the two parties are introduced). We'd be honored if you would keep our names in mind if the Lord shows you a situation like this.
We have a long road ahead of us. We are grateful for your continued prayers and partnership on this journey.
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
I have been checking your blog almost hourly. Patrick and I have been praying for you and Colin each night. I cannot even begin to understand what you are both feeling, but what I see is an absolutely amazing faith. God is definitely shining through your marriage in a very powerful way. Patrick's oldest brother, Michael, adopted a little girl two years ago and they are adopting again now. Patrick's mom will probably e-mail you the agency name and information sometime soon. We will continue to pray for God's healing and His will in your family's future.
Your faith is solid and encouraging. May God continue to carry you through a new turn in your journey.
Erica!
I too have been checking your blog for days! Your faith is beyond words amazing...Even though i don't really know you or Collin that well... i have been honored to go before the throne on your behalf.
I praise Him for the Peace that He has brought you both over this time.
As i sat here and read your desire for adoption... i began to imagine the life that precious child will have with ya'll and how He the creator of everyhing, the author of our lives...will hand pick that perfect treasure just for your arms!
I am buckled in ready for the amazing story He will write...
Praying!
Joanna
Erica, I am beyond impressed by your faith and trust in our Jesus. I have ached for you these last few days, not a single waking hour has gone by that I haven't thought of you, asking our Lord to wrap you and Colin in His comforting embrace. It sounds like He did just that.
I have no doubt that you WILL be a mommy, and in the not so distant future, a precious little one will be in your arms. How blessed that child will be, to be placed in a home such as you and Colin's!
I am proud of you Erica, and my prayers are still coming strong!
Love you!
Dear Erica,
Just know that I have been were you are and I know that it isn't easy BUT GOD is Good. While we don't always understand the "whys", we can trust that God does and that He will not withhold any blessings from you.
I would be more than happy to share with you our experience with our adoption journey and who we've worked with (and who not to work with). Ours would be from a different perspective, as we're going through the state foster care system. One that I never would have considered BUT GOD had different plans. I'm sure that He's spent plenty of time laughing at me :) and all my fine tuned plans....I don't have your email address, so if you'd like to drop me an email, so that I can share my info with you...please feel free to do so. court_thompson1@yahoo.com
You are in my thoughts and prayers, tonight and in the days, weeks and months to come. God will be glorified with your journey and your testimony will bring Him much praise!
Courtney
still praying, still thanking God for you and colin, praising Him for His peace and for your faithfulness.
still sure i am witnessing a miracle...your words today prove that God is doing something miraculous in your heart as you praise Him in this storm.
someone once commented on your blog that God is holding your heart tenderly in His hands--i have loved that picture and continue to believe that He is doing just that.
I've actually been following this blog recently:
http://our-journey-to-parenthood.blogspot.com/
It's about a Nashville couple who adopted the most adorable little boy from Russia through a Christian organization here that specializes in international adoption. Their experience may provide you some good information. Although I know you're still dealing with the disappointment and sadness, I know this will be a new and exciting chapter for you and Colin.
Nicole
I can certainly see how at least knowing this isn't going to work for you guys is freeing. With this information, you can explore what will be the very best way to become parents! So sorry about all of the pain and anguish you both have gone through to get to this point. Good luck on this new path.
Erica,
Thank you for sharing your story. It is His story too, because He is revealing His glory through you both. I definitely know there will still be moments of grief, but I am excited for the next chapter you are about to begin! May it be fruitful and may He provide a close community of believers who have walked this road before you or are walking this road as you are now. Love you so much!
No matter how God decides to make you a mother, you will be an incredible one! I don't know how or when your little one will come into your life, but I know that he or she will be so lucky to have you and Colin as their mommy and daddy. I am praying that God gives you wisdom and leads you to the child that He has already picked for you. And praying for you as you grieve the loss of this dream. We both know that God makes beautiful families in all different ways. I know that DNA is not what makes a mother or father. But, it is still a grieving process when you have to accept that you will not be a biological mother.
I am excited for you in this new chapter and cannot wait to see what God has in store for you.
Hi Erica,
Hi from the recent past. It's Ann From. I hope you don't mind my reading & responding. I appreciate your honesty & testimony. My miscarriage was hard so I have a small, tiny bit of undertanding of those feelings. Hang in there. I do have a friend who is awaiting adoption & the application process seemed relatively easy. They told her & her hubby that it would take less than a year for them to be matched to a birth mom. Whenever you are ready to check it out she gave me the info. for you & said you could contact her with any & all questions. She said go to google & type in adoptionnetwork.com. It is for domestic adoptions. Her name is Kathy & her email is kathy1005@earthlink.net. Hope this helps. We'll pray.
Love, Ann & Mitchell
You are such a wonderful witness to those who go through difficulties. It's hard to understand why God allows us to go through such adversities however, it makes us better....I love you....keeping you lifted up!
terry montgomery blake
Erica- praise God for His perfect peace. It broke my heart to read of your sorrow, but I find heart swelling from joy for you in this most recent blog. The pain will never go away completely- there will always be reminders, but there is a complete plan as you know. I can tell you, being a different kind of family myself that it is interesting, and oh so wonderful! When people ask how old my babies are, I say 8 months and 6 months and feel like smiling and saying "try and figure that one out"... but it leads to some really good conversations about foster care and adoption. I don't know what kind of adoption you guys are looking at, but I am doing foster-to-adopt with an agency called DePelchin and I have been so happy with them- they have been wonderful. They also do straight adoption of foster children whose parental rights have all ready been terminated. All I know is that I have 2 great babies through the foster care system. Adrian has 3 1/2 months left of his case and it's looking good for him staying here forever. Sariyah's case is a little more involved and it's based really on the criminal case that's being pursued by the DA.. so I'm not real sure how long she'll be with us (of course I hope forever, but that's the scary part about fostering when you want forever-children). Erica- if you ever need to talk or have questions let me know. I have been to the place where you feel your entire world and dreams being crushed and having to make a decision and feel you are being led into complete darkness and have to go completely on faith. The journey that you guys are now starting will be hard, but the rewards in the end are immeasurable.
Collin,
Jason Johnson here. Not sure if you remember me from A&M. You were in my Upstream group for a year. My wife and I came across your blog. Would love to catch up. Shoot me an e-mail.
jasmjohnson@hotmail.com
We are using AIM adoptions here in Houston - a Christian open adoption agency. They are wonderful and caring and keep you so connected throughout the process. We just had our home study and are just waiting! Let me know if you want any info on them!
Post a Comment