Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Progress & Perspective

I have been following the blog c jane enjoy it for several weeks now. It is written by a lady (probably about my age) named Courtney. Her sister Stephanie and Stephanie's husband Christian were in a terrible plane crash over the summer and were both severely burned. They both have a long road of recovery ahead of them, but it is amazing to see how their families and friends have rallied around them in support - caring for Stephanie and Christian's four young children, praying for them, and loving on them. Stephanie is still in a medically-induced coma; Christian is awake now.

This morning I read a post on Courtney's blog about progress and perspective. It was written by one of Courtney's sister-in-laws after a recent visit to Stephanie and Christian in the burn unit. Her words are so well-said, and I was deeply encouraged. It inspired me as I look back on my ongoing road to parenthood, but also encouraged me along in the little daily choices I am making for change/improvement in my life.

I hope it encourages you no matter what journey you are on right now, big or small:

"I’ve been thinking about how I mark progress and how often my perspective, although linear, is off. I’m frustrated when I think of the ideal in my head, whether physical, spiritual, mental, or even emotional. I think I have unrealistic expectations sometimes, mostly in how fast I think I should be progressing. If I evaluate myself in terms of an ideal, I will never feel a period of rest or success. When I look at myself, in all aspects of life, all things considered, from a different perspective of several years ago, a few years ago, or a month ago, and allow myself to see how far I’ve come, then I can see it. I can see what difficult experiences have taught me – what knowledge they’ve given me and what incredible value they hold for me. And any progress, no matter how slow, is progress."

To read the whole post click here:
Progress and Perspective

2 comments:

Jaclyn said...

I have been following this story too, it really is unbelievable. I think it is so beautiful how this family will go to the ends of the earth for eachother.

Sharon said...

Erica,
You have me so hooked on "c jane enjoy" and I read it everyday.