Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Baptism by Fire

As you all know, we were officially licensed to be foster parents last Tuesday, the 20th. At that time we were told that the number of kids in the system had dropped dramatically in the last few weeks. The agency attributed the decline to a new law requiring Child Protective Services (CPS) to have a court order before they can remove a child from a home. Based on this insight, we were not surprised when we didn't have any calls from the agency in the last week.

And then came today...

I received multiple phone calls from the agency and ultimately Mr. Wonderful and I were presented with four different cases.

The first case was an obvious no because it was outside our basic parameters. Although we had peace that it was not the right fit for us, it was still hard to say no. Not only was it our first call (which is always exciting!), but your heart just goes out to these kids. And it involved a newborn (3 days old). Aghhh...tug on my heartstrings!

The other three cases were a better fit and so we have allowed the agency to submit our homestudy on all three. What this means is that our names are in the pool, so to speak, of families that are eligible for the particular case. The caseworker assigned to the case will narrow the pool of families down to three. If we make this cut, then our agency will send a representative on our behalf to a placement meeting. At this meeting all three families will be represented and ultimately one will be selected for the placement. By submitting our homestudy we are not committing ourselves to taking the child(ren) involved, even if we are selected. We are only saying we are interested/willing.

Exciting times! Uncertain times! We covet your continued prayers over each of these cases and the caseworkers involved. Please pray for wisdom as the caseworkers review each of the homestudy reports that have been submitted and make decisions on who will get the placement. Please pray for us as we patiently wait and trust on the Lord. Please pray for discernment as we learn more about the cases. We know God already has this all figured out and it is only a matter of time before He brings our child(ren) home to us!!

Thank you! I'll keep you posted when I hear more.

(Note: If you are confused by this process, so were we! It is quite different than what we originally anticipated, but I have been told by many that you have to be flexible with this system. I'm sure that this will be the first of many instances in which things won't play out exactly the way we anticipate (or were told, for that matter).)

14 comments:

Sharon said...

Erica,
I have checked your blog about 20 times today looking for an update. This is crazy but I dreamed about you last night. I often wake up with you on my heart when I know big days are coming up, but this was an honest to goodness dream and there were children in this dream. I have kept your name before the Lord all day and I had no idea why but now I do!!

sarah h said...

wow! That's exciting! I'll definitely be praying for the caseworkers, kids, and y'all as you wait.

Court said...

I was actually going to call you tonight but Michael & I had a date night (I Know...can you believe it?!) Anyway ~ I had you on my heart today and now I see why :) I'm assuming by what you described that the 3 cases might already be straight adopt, since you are being offered up for a possible 3-way. They don't usually do that for foster-to-adopt, but then again...every case is different. Just know that we are praying for you and confident that the Lord is at work and He will bring you to the right situation, with just the perfect fit for your sweet family. Big hugs ~ Court

Lindsee said...

Praying for much wisdom during this "deciding" time! Can't wait to hear more about it.

Ronda said...

Oh, wow! Seriously, baptism by fire, just as you said! How exciting, Erica!!! I can't wait to hear how it all goes. What will the timeline be from here on out? I'm praying, praying, for your child(ren)! Love ya!

Missy said...

Such an exciting time! I will definitely be praying for you and I can't wait to hear how it all works out.

Jenny said...

WOW Erica, this is amazing. Praise the Lord! I will be praying for wisdom and guidance in your decision making.

<3 jen

Jeanne said...

Our prayers, thoughts, crossed fingers, hopes, etc are with you and Colin. May this particular blessing be yours real soon, Aunt Jeanne and Uncle David

Rusty and Jennifer said...

I don't know if I can tell you enough...we are on our knees for you constantly!

When I called last night, my stomach was literally all in knots- so nervous and excited! It's the same feeling that I have gotten when my sister-in-laws were in labor. I just can't wait to meet the little one on the other end of this whole process!

We love you and your babies!!

Jaclyn said...

Wow Erica! I am so excited to see what happens next and I am praying for you, the case workers and your child(ren)! I pray that you find out soon and that you have peace in the waiting. Keep us posted. I am so excited!!!

Kristin said...

So, so excited for the two of you and the precious child or children that may be coming your way.

I prayed for the two of you tonight, for peace and discernment, but I pray for them also, that no matter the difficult situation they may be coming from, that they would have the ability to see your genuine care for them from the moment you meet them.

Unknown said...

Hi Erica...gee whiz, I didn't know all of the exciting news about foster parenting. Your mom sent me your link. What an awesome testimony to God's grace & goodness.

Margaret said...

Okay, I'm so excited that I'm not patient enough to let my blogreader pull in your posts. I keep jumping to your blog to see if there is a new update that I haven't gotten yet.

PS. You are so sweet to be arranging the B1 babysitting when your life is about to get so busy. You are so precious!!

Jocelyn said...

I might be wrong, but it sounds like they are calling you with kids that have longer-term placement needs- will be/or are up for adoption, so then they do need to do a more in-depth look at the homestudy- versus in foster placement where they just look for a home and really don't do that much in-depth looking at the homestudy. This is a GOOD thing- though the wait is longer. I am SO excited for you guys!! Oh the waiting... this is your "expecting" time. Keep us all updated on the progress. I am definately praying for you guys.