Monday, April 13, 2009

Good News & Lingering Questions

Our appointment this morning went well...sort of.

Nate had both an echocardiogram (sonogram of the heart) and an EKG (measures the heart's rate, rhythm, etc.). He was such a brave boy and was pretty still for both tests. And despite being fairly restrained by me and the nurse he did not cry during either! His mommy was so proud!

The doctors reviewed both test reports and both look good! PRAISE GOD! The doc said that the structure of his heart is great (no holes, no major valve issues, etc.). And the rhythm of his heart was good as well.

The problem still lies in his heart rate. Once again Nate's heart rate hovered in the 180's-190's the whole time they were testing him. (Normal is less than 160.) The cardiologist suggested that there is something else causing Nate's accelerated heart rate, and that we need to follow-up with the pediatrician for further testing. They mentioned that things like anemia and thyroid issues can cause the high heart rate.

Overall, we are very pleased to learn that Nate's heart looks good! We still have questions, of course, surrounding the cause for his rapid heart rate, but the cardiologist did not seem overly concerned. We are hopeful we can get some further tests and answers at Nate's two month check-up later this month.

Thank you for your sweet comments and text messages and for your prayers today! They were definitely felt as we both had peace amidst the uncertainties of the day. We covet your continued prayers as we pursue the cause of his high heart rate and for continued health and protection for our little man in the meantime.

On a much happier note, Nate and I enjoyed the rest of our day out after his appointment. We visited Mimi at her office, and then we hit up some of the baby boutiques down near the Galleria. We found a cute gift for Nate's new friend Avery who lives in Nashville, and Mommy's quest for the perfect diaper bag ended in beautiful success! (I can't find any good pictures online. Bummer!)

Once we got home from our adventures, we had a nice visit with Nate's favorite babysitter Carissa! And since I had both hands free while Carissa loved on my boy, I was able to iron Nate's bedding and get it all set-up in his brand new furniture, which arrived this weekend! His room is finally, slowly coming together. My personal decorator (aka Jess B. - you may recall her masterful work in my kitchen) is coming to the rescue in a just a couple of weeks, so it won't be too much longer! Stay tuned for pictures.

Enjoy the rest of your week! Thanks again for your prayers!

11 comments:

Katie said...

Fantastic news! Praise the Lord!

Court said...

Wonderful news! So thankful to know that there is nothing wrong with the structure of Nate's heart and that the cardiologist wasn't overly concerned with the fast heart rate. We'll be praying that the doctors will be able to find the cause of this and get it resolved quickly! So glad to know that Nate did so well today. I've been thinking about you all day and checking your blog for updates. We're praising the Lord for His goodness and protection over Nate!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

So glad to hear the good news...Stop by and visit me and read about our little miracle, Jack

Lindsee Lou said...

I just got updated on both of your blogs today and am so glad everything turned out okay. Will pray that they find whatever is making his heart rate go up! Sounds like y'all had a fun day. You are taking very well to this Mommy thing, Erica. I love it! Also, can't wait to see his room. It will be precious!

Sharon said...

So glad to hear good reports. I checked back all day! We will continue to pray for Nate, you and Colin.

Jenny said...

I'm so glad Nate's heart looks healthy. I pray in Jesus' name that there is a simple solution to get that heart rate back down. He's just a bit excited to have such a wonderful Mommy and Daddy :)

I'm so glad to hear of all of your "Mommy and Me" adventures. Nate is such a blessed boy.

Can't wait to see pics of the room!

Marianne said...

Praise the Lord that little Nate's heart is in great condition. I will continue to pray for you all as you try to figure out why his heart beats a bit faster.

Rusty and Jennifer said...

So happy for the good news and anxious for a resolution to all of the other issues.

Can't wait to see the furniture!

B His Girl said...

Hi, I came over from Teresa's blog. I read her story about Jack and now I hear about Nate. I am praying right now for him. I ask you Lord to touch Nate's life in a beautiful way. Barbara

sarah h said...

I'm so glad to hear that his little heart is looking good! We'll keep praying for the remaining questions to be answered. And, I can't wait to see his room all set up! I'm sure it's adorable.

JessicaB said...

I'm so glad Nate's lil' heart islooking good! We will keep praying for them to figure out what is going out with the increased heart rate.

Can't wait to come down and work in the nursery! We are ready to see you guys!